Unlike typical rollup door storage units often used at self-storage facilities, at Storage Solutions we offer shipping containers at both our locations. Our Milton self storage location is 100% comprised of shipping containers and our Woodstock self storage location offers 8x20 outdoor storage containers.
Because of their design, construction and size!
Shipping containers are specifically designed to be stacked, portable, and are constructed from 8 gauge corrugated metal sheets that are welded together. They are put through rigorous quality assurance tests for water resistance, vibration and impact so each storage container can withstand moisture, salt and extreme weather conditions.
In terms of their size, the most common sizes globally are 20’ long x 8’ wide x 8’ tall and 40’ long x 8’ wide x 8’ tall. To put that into perspective, a 20' can hold approximately 3,500 shoe boxes and a 40' “high cube” can hold around 8,400 shoe boxes.
While this may seem exorbitant, it’s all necessary because their primary use is to transport cargo across the vast and unpredictable oceans. From extravagant luxury cars to everyday household items to electronics, statistics report that almost 90% of the world’s cargo is transported on a ship via shipping containers.
As shipping containers are retired from the shipping industry they have been put to some awesome alternate uses, one of which are self-storage units and portable storage containers. Here at Storage Solutions, the containers we use are what are called 'one trip' containers. They literally have made a single trip and then are retired. These containers are essentially brand new and are as ‘new’ as you can get here in North America.
Amazingly, there are millions of shipping containers in circulation today. People have embraced them and realized that they are excellent building blocks for homes, offices, workshops, restaurants and even villages. hey’re even used for pools these days! TV shows like Container Wars, Container Homes and Containables come up with some cool transformations.
1. They are waterproof, durable, tough (made of 8 gauge corregated steel), and have a tight seal (thanks to the rubber gaskets running along both sides of the container's doors). They can without a doubt, handle the Canadian climate year-round.
2. They are movable or portable, which is super convenient for packing and for mobile storage.
3. They are self-enclosed, and not connected to any other container. This gives our customers total privacy, and also prevents/eliminates rodent and bug problems that many storage facilities often experience.
4. Thanks to #1 and #3, and that the majority of our storage containers have a steel lock box around the lock area (which makes it impossible for bolt cutters to access and cut your lock), they are safe and secure!
5. They are drive-up, which is becoming less common in our industry. By being able to park at the door of your storage container, you can easily and quickly move your items yourself, especially those awkward or heavy ones, without the need (and cost) of professional movers.
6. They are ideal storage for recreational equipment. You can store big items such as vehicles, trailers, boats, ATV’s, and UTV’s alike. These things can easily be driven right into the container and sealed so that they are protected.
If you're ready to rent a storage unit from either of our Milton self storage or Woodstock self storage facilties, we make it nice and easy and contact free! You can rent 24/7 online through our website. We also make paying and moving out easy and convenient.
To help you figure out the right sized storage unit, visit our sizing & pricing page and YouTube channel where we have lost of online tours of our self-storage facilities and the assorted sizes and types of storage units we have for rent.
Your friend in self-storage,