So, you’re moving! Whether your move is a personal one or for business, we hope you enjoy your new space and your move goes smooth...and is as stress-free as possible!
When moving, one of the biggest decisions to make is to decide if you will rent a moving truck or hire a moving company.
If you plan on handling your move on your own, and doing your own heavy lifting, check out our best 7 tips for how to rent a moving truck.
If you have decided to use professional movers and are looking for tips for how to hire a moving company? Look no further!
Here are 8 things to look for when professional hiring movers:
Do Your Research
- Moving is a very common process and chances are that your family and friends have had past or recent experiences with moving companies - ask them if they have any recommendations.
- Get online and check out your local moving companies’ websites.
- Dig a little deeper and research their online reviews and ratings on Google and HomeStars.
Ask for References
- When you narrow down your search to a few local moving companies, ask them for references.
- Most established companies will have some contact information for past customers who act as references for the company and are willing to share their personal experience with others.
Avoid Companies with a Name Change
- Companies that change names or operate under several names are a major red flag.
- This is often a sign that they’re avoiding being looked into and may not be a legitimate business.
- Typically, moving companies will bill you on delivery, not beforehand.
- Deposits are also common to secure your moving service.
- Deposits should be no larger than 20% of the total estimated moving cost.
- If a moving company asks for a deposit larger than 20%, this is usually a red flag.
License & Insurance
- Never use a moving company that cannot provide proof of a license and insurance.
- If they do not have these, your items may not be protected if anything were to happen while in the care (possession) of the moving company.
- To receive an accurate quote, an estimator should book a time to walk through your home or business and take an inventory of what will be moved.
- It’s important to show them everything that you want moved, including things in storage spaces, sheds, and closets. The more thorough you are, the more accurate your quote will be.
- Moving companies often work hourly.
- Most movers can provide a base rate quickly with basic information, but this will not include any extra fees like additional packing supplies or the cost of moving large or heavy items.
- To help ensure you get a realistic estimate, when you do your thorough walk-through with the moving company estimator, go over any special requests and your expectations for how your items will be packed up or handled.
Get Everything in Writing
- It’s very important to get everything in writing when dealing with moving companies as you are trusting them to pack up your personal belongings or business inventory and drive away with them.
- Make sure that they take inventory of, all items that are to be moved, all items that are loaded into the truck and all items that make it off the truck, once at their destination.
- Take the time to check and re-check the inventory list of items to be moved and sign off on it upon pick-up and delivery.
- If an item is not on the inventory list to be moved, movers will not move it, and you will be stuck doing it yourself.
We hope you've found this information helpful and that you’re successful in finding AND hiring the right moving company!
If you’d like to use self storage to simplify your move and help you save on moving costs, contact us! We have a wide variety of sizes of self-storage units available for rent at both Milton self storage and Woodstock self storage facilities, that you can virtually tour on YouTube. In additional to offering amazing affordable rates, and flexible contracts, we also have some great self-storage deals!
And for more helpful advice, tips, tricks and a good laught, make sure to like or follow us on social media.
Good luck with your move and we hope it is as stress-free as possible!
Your friends in self-storage,