Summer is an awesome season and a favourite one for most folks, including the team here at Storage Solutions.
With Summer comes humidity, which is great if you sell ice cream or like frizzy out-of-control hair. But it’s not great for items stored for long-term storage. Humidity can cause condensation inside self-storage units, which can result in mold and mildew issues, and ruin your stored items.
In South-Western Ontario, we experience extreme temperature variations between our seasons, with average temperatures dipping down to -20°C in the Winter and soaring to +30°C in the Summer. This means that the temperature and humidity levels inside our storage units fluctuate greatly.
Now this does not mean that you need climate controlled self-storage if you live in South Western Ontario. There are many simple things you can do to help beat humidity. By the way, to find out if you need this type of regulation, read our blog post What is Climate Controlled Storage?
If you’re concerned about humidity, here are 6 great tips and tricks to help prevent and lessen moisture in your self-storage unit:
- Store only dry and clean items.
- Space out your belongings so air can circulate.
- Use Charcoal Bricks, which absorb water from the air – cool right? Keep them in a container and switch them out once a month so that they keep working.
- Use Desi Paks (or Desiccant), which is a material that comes in vitamin pills. It’s like a large baking soda container, but it’s kept in a breathable bag so that the material can absorb humidity.
- Cat Litter is an easy to use dehumidifier for enclosed spaces. All you have to do is decide if you want non-scented or fresh-scented litter and leave an opened container inside your self-storage unit. For best results, replace monthly.
- Commercial Dehumidifying Products absorb and retain moisture like desiccant and baking soda do. You can conveniently pick these up at your local hardware store.
Oh, and if you’re renting from a local self-storage facility, it’s a good idea to pop by your unit every few months and open the door to get the air flowing inside.
Keep cool this summer and be sure to contact us if you have any questions.
Your friend in self-storage,