Is your mudroom, front entrance, basement, garage or vehicle filled with sports equipment?
Depending on the time of year, the specific sport, the number of people in your household playing sports, and the number of sports played by each, it can take up a huge amount of space (and your time)! You may even be finding it challenging to make or find room to store it all.
Sports equipment can be a huge investment, but it’s necessary to compete and play safely. That’s why when you store your sports equipment, it’s important to store it properly.
We have many local customers here at Storage Solutions who live very active lives. Rather than cluttering up their own living spaces, they use an 8x8 self-storage unit as an off-site locker for storing equipment and accessories for:
- Horseback riding
If you’re going to use a self-storage unit as your sports equipment storage solution (or already do), here’s our best 5 tips:
- Read the Owner’s Manual: If your sports equipment comes with an owner’s manual, read it and keep it. Some equipment has specific or suggested storage requirements, which should be followed, especially if there’s a warranty.
- Inspect & Repair: After using your bikes, hockey gear or other equipment, inspect it for rips, tears or safety concerns. If you notice something needs fixing, make the necessary repairs quickly. This helps prevent further damage or wear and keeps you safe, and at your best, especially on game day.
- Keep it Dry & Clean: Keeping your equipment clean and dry helps you keep it in excellent condition and makes it ‘game-ready’ for the next time you need it. Depending on the equipment, a simple wipe down or a thorough washing may be needed after use. It’s very important to dry it before you put it in a self-storage unit. If you store it wet, it will add moisture to the unit and possibly damage the equipment (or other stored items).
- Avoid Plastic: Plastic does not breathe, so storing something like a sports uniform in a sealed plastic Rubbermaid bin is not suggested. Instead, use a cloth bag or a large equipment bag with the zipper partially down to allow air to flow through it.
- Keep Inventory: This is one of our most favourite tips! It comes from a family who keeps multiple sets of sports equipment at our self-storage facility. They keep a running inventory list of their stored equipment, including its size, so every time someone in the family comes to pick something up, they are in and out super-fast and on time for a practice or game.
If you have any questions about using self-storage for your sports equipment, call or text us at 905-854-1008 or shoot us an email at email@example.com.
We offer indoor and outside drive-up units, 24/7 access, flexible contacts and affordable rates. You can also rent rent a storage unit online, anytime, 24/7. You can also take an online tour of our Milton self storage or Woodstock self storage facilities, as well as the individual self-storage units we have for rent.
And for more helpful tips & tricks, advice, or a good laugh, keep up with our blog and like or follow us on Instagram & Facebook.
Good luck at your next practice or game!
Your friend in self-storage,