For college and university students, the end of the second term is quickly approaching, which means summer break is almost here!
Students are notorious for accumulating large collections of ‘stuff’ while away at school. Often they start out with the bare necessities, and as they learn and grow over the school year, their personal belonging rapidly multiply. While they comfortably moved into their dorm or off-campus room using the family vehicle at the start of the year, they now need a moving van (or friend with a very large truck) to move them back home. Moving home can be frustrating, time-consuming and costly. What a terrible way to start summer, especially when the end of the school year is already overwhelming and stressful enough with exams and finding summer jobs.
Now that the school year is winding down parents and students may be wondering what they will do with all that ‘stuff’ they will soon pack up, and need to put somewhere.
- Most of it will not be used over the summer.
- It will remain packed up in boxes, bags and of course, take up space in the house or garage.
The most common challenge for students moving home is that there is not enough room in their family home or at their summer accommodations to temporarily store all their belonging.
The good news is that there is a solution – student self storage!
A storage unit is a great place to safely and temporarily store many items that students do not need over the summer, such as:
- Bedding and mattress
- Dishes and small appliances
- Mini refrigerator
- Textbooks and school supplies
- Off-season clothing or sporting equipment
Here are a few other reasons why students and their families use a self-storage facility over the summer:
- Students are travelling all summer and need a single secure, hassle-free place to store everything.
- Hiring a moving company or renting a moving truck can be very expensive when adding up the mileage between school, your summer accommodations, and back to school again in the fall.
- Students are moving between on-campus and off-campus housing and can’t move into their new accommodations until the fall semester starts.
- Students are looking to save money over the summer through subletting their off-campus room, apartment and house (and get peace of mind knowing that their personal belongings are safe and untouched by strangers).
That last reason is a big one for students because going to school is expensive! It is very common for students renting off-campus housing to have to sign a 12-month lease, despite the fact that they may not need the accommodation over the summer. No one wants to pay rent for a place they do not need for 4 months. Many students will leave their personal belonging in their empty student housing over the summer, which while convenient, is costly self storage. Subletting a room, apartment or even an entire house over the summer is a great way for students and their families to recoup a portion of the rent they will pay for this unoccupied space. And because not everyone wants to leave their personal items or furniture for friends or strangers to use, renting a storage unit for your belongings is an economical win-win solution.
If you’re looking for student self storage, Storage Solutions is here to help:
- Our convenient location, just off the 401 at the Guelph Line exit in Campbellville, makes travel a breeze for students heading to and from nearby schools like University of Guelph, Wilfrid Laurier University, University of Waterloo, Conestoga College, and Sheridan College.
- We offer affordable rates and flexible contacts so you can store for as long, or as little as you need or want.
- You can access our secure, well-lit facility 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
We’re here to make student life easier, and your summer more care-free. Contact us today about student self storage.
Your friend in self-storage,